7.16.2023

Losing My Dad

 


My dad left this earth April 11, 2022

There is no preparing for such a loss. 

I would like the record this loss here.

My dad's birthday is the day after Christmas. You can imagine how ones birthday would get missed or skipped over with such a birthday. 2021 I wanted to throw him a birthday party and boy am I glad I did. Who knew it would be his last? 

Many of my siblings came with their children, and my sister's 2 children came with their spouses. It was a house full. One of my sisters almost didn't come because she had to be to work early the next morning but my brother quilted her into coming and I am sure she is glad she did.

The house was already festive with Christmas, my Naomi and Zoe worked on his huge birthday banners.

I made meatloaf, red potatoes, and green beans. His birthday cake was a Strawberry Covered Chocolate Cake. I remember focusing on the yummy flavors but while frosting it it his me- I made my dad a pink cake!!!! So a put the heaviest chocolate drip on it to cover most pink. 

My dad told the story that day to us all that when he was a small boy he was having a joint birthday gathering with a female cousin of his. They were opening gifts and he opened one and it was pink panties. Turned out the giver mixed up which gift was for him and which was for his cousin but at a boy, it was humiliating.

Made me so glad I fixed the cake. 

I set up seating in the dining room and kitchen so everyone could sit at a table. My house is small, so we were packed in tight, but we fit. I had these gold crowns from Christmas that my kids and Gary and I got in some Christmas Poppers, and I put a crown at my dad's seat to wear and the birthday boy did, which I was surprised but I love it!

After we all ate, we went around the room telling my dad a favorite memory and/or what we love about him. There were funny things said, there were emotional things said. I cried saying what I wanted to say. I adore my dad.

Then we all went into the family room and did Christmas stuff. So many people, so much going on, but in the hub-bub I look over and see my dad alone in the living room, standing with his feet apart and his hands in this pockets as he does, and he motioned for me to come over. He thanked me most sincerely, although he was always sincere, for giving him the best birthday ever. He told me how special it was and how much he loved hearing from every one. He was full of gratitude, also nothing new. He was always full of gratitude. 

That night after everyone left he sent me the sweetest text, thanking me again for such a good birthday celebration. He told me if he knew it would be that good, he would have come sooner. I love his sense of humor. I love my dad. The.very.best!!! No other way to put it.

That was December 26th. Just a week or so later he got RSV and just couldn't shake it.


to be continued

No comments: