6.08.2009

My Story on Adoption (for real this time)

I feel a little guilty because a month or so ago (I have no concept of time) I had a post with the word adoption in the title, and it was about my kids letting a sibling adopt their pet. I had many visitors from what I assume was the title and I assume they expected to hear about people adoption. I felt a little bad, thought maybe they needed to read something deeper than "My kids get tired of their pets and give the responsibility to another sibling". Of course, they didn't get it from me.
.
For one, I am not that deep. Wait..... I think I am deep(ish).... but I don't know how to express my depth. But I am going to try.
.
I am going to try sharing about my family. My family who adopted 4 children. Who were not all caucasian. Before people got into doing that. And at a time when (if you can fathom) children of different races were adopted, then ripped from their homes, because how could a caucasian raise a child with some color to appreciate their culture, 'they' said. And that was more important than love.
.
Meet my family.... of whom I believe there is not a picture in existence with us all together so this is the best I could do-
.

+


=
My Family

(I am the one in the red shirt with the nappy head.)
.
When I was 11 or 12 (ish) a new brother from (the womb of) another mother came into our lives. And then when I was about 14 or 15 (ish) three more siblings came into our lives. It's a long drawn out process, kinda, but what I remember with the 3 coming at once was that they were to come for the day and then about a week or so later would come for a weekend and if we all felt good about it, they would come for good. But if I recall correctly, they came for good right away.
.
I also remember that it was a year or so later that we went to court and the judge told us that it's official, we were all brothers and sisters and I thought, "They are just now our brothers and sisters?!?" It felt like they already were. Have a child move into your home and stay day in and day out while fighting together over toys and clothes and chores and laughing over something silly that was said, I don't care what- they become a part of the family. It was hard to imagine a time when they weren't.
.
I work with the teenage girls at my church and last Sunday the teacher was teaching about accepting and loving everyone regardless of race. Out of the 4 children that my family adopted, the one that had the same shade of skin as I did was the one I struggled getting along with most. So for me, seeing the real person is easy. Getting along with certain kinds of personalities- not so much.
.
I am not mesmerized by shades of skin. I wouldn't befriend, vote, become of fan or fall in love with someone because of it.
.
But it sure wouldn't stop me from doing those things either. The color of one's skin doesn't make one better or worse; smarter or dumber; kinder or meaner. I know that. Anyone, regardless of skin tone or gender can do anything. An-y-thing. That shouldn't be a shock to anyone anymore.
.
And I think my family taught me that.
.
At the same time, listening to my friends of different races tell me about how 'their people' (friends words, not mine) do funerals and have parties and do church and raise their kids... intrigues me.
.
Does that make me a hypocrite?
.
I am turning off the comments, so don't answer that. :-)
.
This is my story and I'm sticking to it.
.
And one more thing.... Ma? Pa?
.
Thank you.

.

And family?

.

I love you! One and all!!