12.15.2009

The Stockings were Hung by the Chimney with Care

.
.
Traditions.
.
I love them. Love, love, love, love them. But I am not the best at keeping traditions. I think my problem is I am moody and get bored easily. One year something may be awesome, but after a year or two of it, I want to try something new. Take for instance, when I was growing up, my mother made a breakfast strata every Christmas morning. It was great. I attempted to have a Christmas morning tradition, but some Christmas mornings I am in the mood for Cinnamon Rolls and then next I might be in the mood for everyone to make a bowl of cold cereal. Know what I mean?
.
Another Christmas tradition we had growing up was writing each other love notes and putting them in each others stockings, to be read.... Christmas Eve.... I think. (I can't remember)
.
I attempt to do this one every year with my family, but some years we do not. But we do it more than not.



Last night was the day chosen for us to read what others wrote.
.
Here is a note Nolan wrote.
.
To himself.




It reads- Nolan, your muscles are swollen. Let's go bowlin'.
.
His note to me read- Mom, you're the bomb. You bought a Tom-Tom. When I eat your food I go 'om, nom-nom'.
.
To Naomi- Naomi, my homie, you owe me, you are quick like BJ versus Takanori Gomi.
.
(clicking is for educational purposes.... but just so you know, it's boys fightin')
.
To Zoe - Zoe, you are cute, please don't poot. (sorry folks)
.
To Wes- You are my brother and you're name is Wesley. You like peanut butter more than Elvis Presley. Remember when Bri and Kate called you Betsie? Well.... that doesn't actually rhyme.
.
Speaking of rhyme, do you see a pattern?
.
I would love to share the others he wrote but I cannot find them. Surely the receivers have put their notes in a special spot to treasure for years to come. (right?)
.
And speaking of find(ing), guess what I found in my stocking when I went in for my notes?
.
Old Christmas candy that had once (or more) melted and then hardened back up and stuck in the insides of my stocking while intertwined with it's wrapper like a bad car wreck. Ever been in a haunted house in which they have a set up of things you stick your hand in, not knowing what you are touching? That's kinda the flash back I got last night.
.
.


4 comments:

April said...

I like traditions that can be broken! But what I like more are the notes that Nolan wrote! hehehe!!!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh how I love catching up on your blog!!! Your kids are hilarious! And I love those stockings!

All8 said...

That's a great tradition. Love notes for Christmas. Somebody should write a weepy country/Christmas song about it. Maybe Nolan...

I am LoW said...

April- Me too! On both acounts. :-D

Rachel- Thanks and welcome back. :) And thanks about the stockings. I'm struggling with them.

Lorinda- I think he should. I think he could. I'll talk to him about that. (have you caught his hippy song? it's somewhere on this here blog)