11.18.2008

We Have Tradition and a Game Too


Gary and I have a major pet peeve. And that is skipping Thanksgiving. We love Thanksgiving so much and get sad when it's overlooked because of the excitement of Christmas. Not that we don't love Christmas- we do- but Thanksgiving just doesn't get it's fair time, we say.

But my kids are kids and they are already thinking of Christmas....

Christmas Eve!
I've heard the word 'Christmas' several times already and then I listen closer and hear that what they love most about it is Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve was also my favorite growing up. We always had an intimate family party with delicious treats and great fun and amazing talent.
Here is my parents talent from about 25 years ago-




And here is my sisters talent from about 18 years ago.



When I moved back home 9-ish years ago I invited the tradition to come to my house and the great family fun has continued but now it's even bigger with spouses and children. We still have a talent show and often we add other things to the mix.
A couple of years ago we had a Snowman Melting Contest. I do believe it was my wittle baby sister Anitra's idea. If you are looking for a group game this Holiday season I must recommend this one. Want to know how to play?
-Have 2 contestants stand in front of the group
- sing song Once There Was a Snowman
-At the part "In the sun he melted" both contestants melt
-group decides which contestant melts the best
-best melter stays, new Snowman now tries to beat in the melting
- continue until everyone has had a chance to melt against best melter
(hint:If you have a teenager who just stands there because they are "too cool" to melt, keep voting him (Nolan!) in)
Need the words to the Snowman song?
You betcha!

Once there was a snowman, snowman, snowman

Once there was a snowman- tall, tall, tall

In the sun he melted, melted, melted

In the sun he melted- small, small, small

~~~~~~~~~~~

Aren't tradition's the best?

And group games?

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I do have the official Snowman Melting Contest handbook right by my computer just in case your SMC handbook isn't handy and you have a question you need answered fast.


10 comments:

The Crash Test Dummy said...

That's funny how our kids become us.

I like how you have your children dress to match your blog. Good thinking.

And I'm not having trouble with blogger. Maybe your computer is still sick.

I am LoW said...

I'm sorry, I totally tricked you. I post, my computer heals, so I changed the post all the while you comment on the post and now it looks like you are crazy for leaving a random comment that has nothing to do with me post. :-D

It was my computer...

My kids match my blog? For real? You mean the picture I changed while you didn't know it or the side pictures? So cool! :)

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hey you did totally make me look like a fool. It's like a Twilight Zone moment.

I just came back to tell you your button is not working. At least not on my blog.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

And btw, you are a very holiday spirited girl! For every holiday.

NICE!

I am LoW said...

Aw man, thanks for the info about the button. AND for putting it on your blog! I'll have to have the nice surgeon you hooked me up with look into that. I am do for a follow up visit anyways. :)

And thanks for everything else you said!

aniC said...

the S.M.C. was SO fun!! i highly recommend it...and not just because i was the inventor.

and i'm digging your new blog 'do. and i'm really diggin your button. i already put it on my blog. i'd have to figure out how to get me one if i wasn't private.

I am LoW said...

Aw gee, thanks... it's groovy, isn't it? :)

Sister Black said...

what's the button?

I am LoW said...

The button on the right side, near the top, that reads 'I know LoW'. It's for people with blogs- they can put it on their blog and people will be all, "Ohmygosh, you KNOW LoW?!?!" :)

Sister Black said...

i guess now i'll REALLY have to get a blog }c: