10.07.2008

Maybe He's Just a 'Glasses Kind of Guy'

The closest I ever came to wearing glasses was in the 4th grade when I faked bad results because I so badly wanted either glasses or braces or a cast on my arm or leg..... or at least crutches. My husband also see's 20/20. We both have plenty of siblings with corrective eye wear, but not us. So when Nolan came home in 2nd grade with a note saying he didn't do well on the school's eye exam, I figured one of his friends wore glasses that he was envious of. When the second note came home I realized not all kids fake vision problems and I took him to the eye doctor.


I was very unaware of how the whole thing worked. I thought one went to the doctor and came home with glasses. I didn't even realize one bought the frames separate from the lenses. I also thought that when a child hit a certain age, they were determined to wear contacts and nothing would stop them.


When Nolan was entering middle school I mentioned contacts and he was on board. Until he tried them. The lady that was to teach him was impatient with him and he was impatient with the process. And that was that.


A year or two later we tried again. Same results.
I wondered if having 20/20 parents made it more difficult for him. We had no hints or tips, we have no clue what all those potions people use for contact lenses do. All we could do was cheer on the side line and hope for the best.


Then last week, now age 17, we went to a new doctor and hoped for more patience on Nolan's side and the contact lens teachers side. He once again struggled. It was as though his finger had a string on it that pulled the top lid down when the finger came near it. None of the tricks seemed to work and the more impatient the teacher got the more flustered he got. I could show him how to apply masacra with eyes wide open, but contacts? I was no help.


Nolan, after trying for a good bit, finally looked over at me and said, "Maybe I'm just a glasses kind of guy."


Honestly though, I wonder if he does learn to wear contacts or got lasik surgery, if he would do like Drew Carey and wear glasses anyways because it's a part of his identity.
(self portrait from about 5th grade)

Every time he draws one of his comics (which I wanted to scan but my scanner isn't working.... help?) he can be found easily by his glasses. Well.....the freckles give it away too. He actually may have the glasses about as long as he has the freckles.

Yeah.... I think he is a glasses kind of guy.

And there's anything wrong with that.

5 comments:

The Crash Test Dummy said...

I LOVE THE SELF PORTRAIT! It's precious.

Hey, I always longed to wear braces too!

dar said...

so has he changed up the kind of frames he wears yet?
at least he wears the glasses. my kam should be wearing them all the time, but he will only wear them in class when he needs to see the board

I am LoW said...

TCTD- I know, right??

Dar- he got a new frames but nobody noticed at school today, so obviously not that different. He's always kept them about the same. Nolan wears his ALL THE TIME. He only takes them off after he's crawled in bed and they are on before he gets out of bed. They are over 2 years old but the doc said they are in great shape. I think it is b/c they are always on his face.

Carrie Maseda said...

At least he is happy with his glasses; I have had to wear mine for the last week waiting for my contacts to come in, and I HATE them! Maybe Nolan can try next year, if he wants to; I do know plenty of people who are content wearing glasses forever, I however do not happen to be one of those people. :)

Eli's Lids said...

Saw you on Nie's blog. I love that you wanted glasses and braces when you were young... so did I!! I also wanted curly red hair and freckles. The "first kiss" video is hysterical... I hope my kids are as fun when they are older... meaning when they can talk!!
Blessings, KN
http://elislids.blogspot.com