10.13.2009

Home Decorating by LoW

.
.
I love home decorating even though I do not know what I am doing. I don't know the decorating rules, except one. Hang pictures in odd numbers. Before I learned that rule, I already learned that rule because it just didn't look right hanging in even numbers. Regardless of my lack of home decor knowledge, I've always seen bare walls as an unpainted canvas that I couldn't wait to do something with. I throw things on the wall and am shocked when a guest compliments what I threw on the wall and how I threw it on the wall because I am usually pretty sure that what I do only makes sense to me. (and it's still probably only me and a very few others)
.
My latest clean canvas has been my 18 year old son's bedroom walls.
.
The problem is, Nolan doesn't love the things I love for my bedroom (hearts and flowers), he loves UFC. He loves blood and guts. (maybe just blood, I've never seen or heard of guts showing in the arena) (literal guts I mean. I reckon it takes guts to do what they do) So do I get all UFC on him and fight his obsession with UFC or do I go with it?
.
I went with it.
.
This is over his bed.
.
The top UFC poster was done by his sister Rae, given to him for his birthday.
..
The other day Nolan came home to a little surprise, I framed this Asian dude below that he drew in Art Class and hung him up.

Then Rae boo-hooed that she didn't sketch a cool Asian dude in Art Class, cause she wished she had him hanging in her room. .

For extra cool Mom points, I let him hang this up on his wall.

Sure, it's loud (is that thunder I hear?) and in a year the room should be Rae's, but it's about the cool points.
.
Yesterday I imagined being on The Next Design Star (was that the name of it? With Vern, from Trading Spaces) and the judges were judging me and do you know what they said?
.
"This signature design method, of stair stepping your pictures?"

.

The method that you use in every room you have decorated, since being on our show....

in the kitchen, in the couples room, and now in the teenage boys room. We are starting to think you are a one trick pony."

.

And then, while imagining this conversation with the judges, I imagined I straightened up, standing tall and confident, (I was also tall, thin and regal in this imagining) looking them in the eye and saying, "I am not a one trick pony....

.

"When we were challenged to design the kitchen, I showed my creativity by hanging things over the door frame...."

"I did the same in the dining room and entry way......"



So I am not a one trick pony. I am a two trick pony!"

.

And then I won the show!
.

I I mean, while I am imagining... Right?

Speaking of hanging things over door frames, look what I can't part with.

Until I get a new working over-sized clock??


2 comments:

dar said...

all fun, cool, and all that

Sister Black said...

you should have your OWN show!