3.11.2009

When Great Ain't So Great

My oldest sister isn't just old, and isn't just my sister, and doesn't just steal my boyfriends, but she's SO bossy!
.
She called me the other day saying, "Read this book and tell me about it! NOW!"
.
I said I was busy reading another book at the moment and she said something like, " If you don't read it NOW, I'll tell Ma about that time you...."
.
And I said, "FINE!! I'll read it!"
.
Good Gravy, that girl! Such a tyrant!
.
So the thing is, it's really embarrassing, because I have finally read The Great Gatsby. I know, I know, I should have read it 20 years ago in high school. But I didn't. But now boyfriend stealing sister's son had to and my own son is about to, so we needed to know what was up.
.
But she still could have asked more nicely, dontcha' think?
.
So here is my thoughts on the book.....
.
I hated it.
.
But I liked it a lot, kinda.
.
The book had me and wouldn't let me go. It was like passing a car accident (no pun intended). (except not really, because I am not one to look, I just can't)
.
But there were no morals, there was lying and cheating and murder and no remorse. Books tend to be filled with that BUT what it was missing that just killed me was the.....
.
"Duuuuuude."
.
And by that I mean, nobody was saying-
.
"Duuuuuude, you can't do that to your family!"
.
or
.
"Duuuuuuude, it's never okay to hit a girl!"
.
or
.
"Duuuuuuude, you've had enough to drink!"
.
or
.
"Duuuuuuuuude, you need to confess!"
>
.I get I get that the story teller had a problem with the lack of morals, but it killed me that he wasn't speaking up.
.
This is why I stopped reading Revolutionary Road, I felt the same thing coming. I could see it going down the same road of moral-less activity with no shame and no second thought and nobody struggling with their decisions or feeling guilt. And with no voice of reason.
.
And that gives me a big stomach ache.
.
Anyone want to discuss in my comment box? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the book. I have a feeling my Nolan won't be up for discussion when he reads it.

10 comments:

Sister Black said...

that's the thing that will make me put down a book, and it's rare if i start a book and don't finish. even if it's not a very good book, i'll usually at least speed read to the end. but if it's totally lacking any moral compass to any degree...i just don't finish it.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

I do! I do! I did my senior project on that book. I hear ya, sistah.

But I have to run to Costco so can I get back to you later gator?

I am LoW said...

Ma- Yeah, it just makes it hard to read. Someone in the book needs to see when things are wrong, right?

Crash- No, please discuss it with me before Costco. hehe

Can't wait to hear and discuss.

I did read that Fitzgerald had a problem with the lack of moral in the 20's, and supposedly Nick did too, but you couldn't tell much, and he still didn't take a stand. WHy oh why didn't he ever say, "Duuuuuude, Tom, duuuuuude, watch thinking?"

dar said...

now I need you to read 'the color purple' and 'death of a salesman' and don't take so long this time or i'll tell mom about that other time...

I am LoW said...

Oh Darla- you are the meanest sister EVER!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh Lo, I'm so sorry I never came back. I wanted to find my senior project to remember why I wrote about it. It's been like 15 years.

I do know what you're saying. There's a moral disconnect. I wrote my paper on how Fitzgerald uses motion and direction. He takes his stand subtly through literary devices, not through the DUUUDDE approach like we do now. The moral is implied. It's like he's exemplifying it. Illustrating it and making the reader HATE the moral disconnect. Just like you did. I remember being bothered by the brilliance of it too.

Don't you just despise Daisy though? Grrr It seems like I read that F. Scott Fitzgerald had that kind of relationship with Zelda, his wife. She was a writer too. Supposedly they plagiarized off each other quite a bit. And she was a party animal and made him earn his way to her, just like Daisy did.

I'm going to find that paper if it kills me because everything is symbolic.

I am LoW said...

Oh, I hope you find the paper!

Yes, Daisy was awful. I think what bugs me is everytime I've heard about it, more the movie than the book, it was talked about as though it's romantic, and it's anything but. But I am a visual person, so in the movie, seeing the actor who played Nick, helped. Because he didn't say anything, it was subtle, but it was the facial expressions that showed his disapproval. Barely. haha!!

I think it hit too close to home, seeing situations where nobody says "duuuuude" and they need to! Because sometimes friends just must. *sigh*

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Didn't Robert Redford play in that movie? I'm trying to remember.

Yes, there is not a lot of outright inspiration in the story. It's a moral downer--vaccuum. The writing is quite remarkable though. HOPE I FIND MY PAPER. I'll read it to you in your comment box.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Didn't Robert Redford play in that movie? I'm trying to remember.

Yes, there is not a lot of outright inspiration in the story. It's a moral downer--vaccuum. The writing is quite remarkable though. HOPE I FIND MY PAPER. I'll read it to you in your comment box.

I am LoW said...

He did. He and Mia Farrow both....

I REALLY hope you find your paper too!! Because I too really do want you to read it to me in my comment box.

The book was clever, without a doubt. It keeps you thinking...